Posted by Keith.
I have been a Newcastle United supporter for a lot of years and have seen some great players and managers, unfortunately, not always at the same time. However, one Manager who stands out is Sir Bobby Robson who showed a love and passion for the game like very few other people. Today, would have been his 83rd birthday(18th Feb); so as a change to the usual ‘Funny But True’ format I have listed some of the, now famous quotes, attributed to Sir Bobby.
- We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.
- Manchester United dropped points, Liverpool dropped points, Chelsea dropped points, Everton dropped points, so in a way we haven’t lost anything at all really, although we dropped all three.
- I’m not going to look beyond the semi-final – but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final.
- Alan Shearer has done very well for us, considering his age. We have introduced some movement into his game because he has got two good legs now. Last season he played with one leg.
- No team won anything without a dodgy keeper.
- The first ninety minutes of a football match are the most important.
- He’s very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of himself nobody will catch him.
- We can’t replace Gary Speed. Where do you get an experienced player like him with a left foot and a head?
- Nobby Solano discharged himself from hospital after the Tottenham game and he’s driving, living the life and aware of who he is.
- He’s the only man I know who could start an argument with himself (when discussing Newcastle striker Craig Bellamy).
- Anything from 1-0 to 2-0 would be a nice result.
Happy Birthday Sir Bobby.