Posted by Irene.
This is only our second recipe for the walkington-life soup kitchen.
- ½tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 6 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200g (7oz) roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
- 600ml (1 pint) hot vegetable stock
- Large handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- A little cream for drizzling, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5min until softened. Add the garlic and tomatoes and stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer tomato mixture into a blender, then add peppers, stock and most of the basil. Blend until smooth, then check the seasoning. Reheat in a pan if necessary. Ladle into warmed soup bowls, then drizzle with oil and cream, if using. Garnish with remaining basil and black pepper. Serve immediately with crusty bread.