I was recently in the Village Shop and saw they had a box full of fresh Broccoli which reminded me of one of our very early blog posts – a recipe for Broccoli and Stilton Soup. This has become, over the intervening years, the go to soup recipe in our house and what’s more, you can buy all the ingredients from the shop. The recipe was published in Jan 2015.
This is our very first recipe. It was sent in by Chris who describes it as a particular family favourite… good for using up any old bits of blue cheese from the back of the fridge. Please try it and see for yourself… if you would like to leave a comment on the recipe, please go to the menu and select Contacts.
If you would like submit a recipe of your own, send it as an email to:- firstname.lastname@example.org or use the Contact page on the menu bar.
Broccoli and Stilton Soup
This is a lovely soup full of flavour and posh enough to be served at a dinner party or just as a hearty lunch.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 head broccoli, roughly chopped
- 140g Stilton, or other blue cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and then add the onions. Cook on a medium heat until soft. Add a splash of water if the onions start to catch.
- Add the celery, leek, potato and butter. Stir until melted, then cover with a lid. Allow to sweat for 5 minutes. Remove the lid.
- Pour in the stock and add the chunky bits of broccoli stalk. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add the rest of the broccoli and cook for a further 5 minutes. Carefully transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth. Stir in the stilton and blend. Season with black pepper and serve.